The Post Graduate Certificate in Family Business Management offered by Indian Institute of Management-Calcutta (IIMC) is a focused programme that has been designed from a business owner’s perspective. The year-long programme has been developed to educate and enable owners/top-management of family-owned businesses to understand and learn how to tackle challenges in today’s ever-changing business environment.
Besides inculcating a pride of being a part of IIM Calcutta, one of the top 10 B-Schools in India and the pioneers of interactive learning in the Asia-Pacific region, the programme offers participants lasting value.
- One-year programme comprising of intensive learning via an Interactive Learning platform and in-campus sessions at IIMC, Kolkata
- Convenient learning schedule for working professionals
- 10 days of in-campus sessions at IIM Calcutta by expert faculty
- Peer learning through rich student proﬁle & networking opportunities
- Get a Post Graduate Certification and Alumni status by IIM Calcutta
- Develop the knowledge, skills and attitude of an entrepreneur
- Appreciate the functional aspects of their businesses
- Develop a strategy to grow their business and tackle competition
- Develop skills and knowledge to take the business global
The one-year programme is delivered by IIMC faculty via the Interactive Learning platform; in-campus sessions; and an optional international study tour. The programme has been divided across 4 modules approximating a hundred 3-hour sessions.
Module 1: Fundamentals of Management (28 Sessions) *
- Business Environment for Family Managed Businesses
- Managerial Economics
- Principles of Management, Concept of Professional Management, Communication & Networking
- Business Planning & Strategy Formulation
- Business Law & Taxation
Module 2: Entrepreneurship (6 Sessions) *
- Entrepreneurial Success and Innovation
- Introduction to Intrapreneurship
- Establishing & Managing a Start-up
Module 3: Functional Areas of Business (37 Sessions) *
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Corporate Finance
- Fund-raising for Business Growth & Expansion
- Private Equity, Venture Capital & Corporate Valuation
- Financial Planning & Wealth Management
- MIS & Business Analytics
- Sales & Marketing Management
- Customer Orientation of Business
- Operations Management
- Lean Management
- Total Quality Management
- Just In Time
- Service Operations
- Supply Chain Management
- OB and HR including Succession Planning
Module 4: General Management (29 Sessions) *
- Innovation & Corporate Strategy
- Effective Negotiations
- Corporate Governance & Business Ethics
- International Business: Taking your Business Global
*Indicative number; actual number of sessions in modules may vary. Each session will be of 3 hours duration.
The programme will ensure intensive immersion through the Interactive Learning (VIL) platform as well as in-campus sessions. Teaching methodologies include
- Interactive Discussion
- Projects & Assignments
- Case Studies
- International Study Tour (Optional)
The Interactive Learning component forms the core of the PGCFBM. Instructors facilitate learning via two-way audio/video synchronous telecommunication mode from the studios set up at IIM Calcutta campus. The technology allows the instructor to use slide presentations, video, audio, whiteboards, etc., to effectively communicate ideas and interact with participants.
Pan India Network of Learning Centres
70 learning centres spread across 37 cities all over India.
The classes will be conducted once a week. Each class will be of 3 hours duration.
Sundays: 3.30 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
Besides sessions delivered across the Interactive Learning platform, the programme also includes 10 days of in-Campus modules of face-to-face sessions at the 135-acre IIMC campus in Kolkata. Split into 2 modules of 5 days each (one each at the beginning and end of the course), the in-Campus sessions would be held by IIMC faculty as well as guest faculty invited because of their domain expertise. There will be two campus visits, each of 5 days, at IIMC campus, Kolkata.
- 1st Campus Visit: 5th to 9th November, 2019
- 2nd Campus Visit: TBD
Who Should Attend
- The owners/scions of Family Managed Businesses
- Senior Managers who report to the owners of Family Managed Businesses
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- Must be an Owner/Scion of Family Business
- Member of top Management (reporting to Business Owner) with at least 10 years of work experience