The Indian healthcare sector is growing at a tremendous pace and is projected to become a US$ 280 billion industry by 2020. This, in turn, has increased the demand for skilled healthcare professionals to meet the managerial challenges of this sector. The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta entered this space in 2015 by launching the long duration programme titled Healthcare Executive Management Programme (HEMP). Based on the Institute’s experience and learning from the aforesaid programme, IIM Calcutta has remodeled and relaunched it as the Post Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management (PGCHM). This programme aims to address the specific needs of aspiring healthcare practitioners and administrators by offering a combination of academic modules in the broad field of management, and hands-on practical experience by way of Industry Immersion Programme (IIP).
PGCHM is designed in particular, to impart cutting edge management education to variously trained healthcare professionals. As a long duration residential programme, PGCHM enables participants to partake in the academically rich, collaborative, and vibrant community life at IIM Calcutta. This distinguishes the programme from many others of its kind in India.
PGCHM will draw upon a select reputed network of healthcare service providers for effective delivery of the programme in both its dimensions – the academic as well as industry immersion.
Who Can Attend
- Healthcare professionals in general, and specifically, hospital administrators, doctors, professionals from medical and allied sectors such as pharmaceuticals and medical insurance as well as healthcare entrepreneurs.
The objectives of the PGCHM are as follows:
- Developing interdisciplinary orientation towards management of healthcare
- Delivering customized management education to healthcare professionals
- Training the participants in managerial leadership
- Familiarizing the participants with innovation and entrepreneurship in Indian healthcare sector
- Sensitizing the participants with the macro policy context both global and national.
- Inculcating comparative framework specifically in relation to healthcare challenges of a developing countries
- Face-to-face sessions will be held at IIM Calcutta campus during the first 6/7 months with a two week gap in between. This will be followed with the Industry Immersion Programme(IIP) for the next 3/4 months. The IIP will be followed with face-to-face classes at IIM Calcutta.
- Alumni status from IIM Calcutta.
- IIM Calcutta certificate on program completion.
- Blend of lectures, case studies and assignments.
1.Term wise – Course Modules:
- Managerial Communication
- Health Economics
- Public Policies on Healthcare: International and National
- Finance and Accounting
- Operations & Supply Chain Management
- Healthcare Marketing and Sales I
- Technology and Healthcare
- Human Resources Management in Healthcare
- Healthcare Marketing and Sales II
- Project Finance and Finance Management
- Hospital Planning and Structure
- Clinical and Quality Management Systems
- Negotiation and Conflict Management
- Leadership in Healthcare Organizations
- Healthcare Analytics
- Legal Aspects of Healthcare
- Ethical Aspects of Healthcare
In-class modules will be supplemented with mentored independent study spread across in-campus terms.
- Industry Immersion Programme (IIP) [12 – 16 weeks]
- Strategic Management
- Entrepreneurship in Healthcare
- Capstone Project Report and Presentation
- Industry Interactions (non-credited)
2. Capstone Project: Participants have to do a compulsory individual and group project based on a topic of their choice related to the Healthcare sector, in addition to the independent study. Non-completion of this project would lead to incomplete grade in the programme. Each project would be under the guidance of a faculty from IIM Calcutta. The project would be graded by the faculty guide.
3. Industry Immersion Programme (IIP): The IIP is meant to bridge the gap between the real-life experience and the academic learning. It enables students to experience the rigors of the process of delivery of services in healthcare organizations.
Strategy Planning Manager,Credi Health, Gurgaon(Batch 02)
I am Priya Sharma, HEMP batch 2016-2017 student. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for the program. The curriculum gave me deeper knowledge of global healthcare environment and management education, along with industrial experience. With the help of enriched knowledge, I got Strategy Planning Manager role and contributed in digital healthcare management platform. The program gave me immense confidence with the help of which now I have turned out to be a social entrepreneur and am working for rural healthcare development. My ideas are welcomed and I am getting lot of support and respect from administrative people and industry eminences. This is primarily due to my educational background, hard-work and subject knowledge. I dedicate all my progress to HEMP, which is now called as PGCHM. I am honoured to be part of healthcare program.
Dr. Praseen Pidishetty
Associate Vice President; Business Operations, Yashoda Group Of Hospitals, Hyderabad(Batch 02)
The Course covered a lot of new information in a structured way. The method of delivery made it very easy for us to absorb the information. The course structure was clear, logical and effective. Prof. Rajesh Babu and Prof. Manish Thakur have obviously put a lot of thought & expertise into designing the programme. It wasn’t just about the new Knowledge, the main benefits came from doing assignments, group discussions, analysing case studies, receiving individual feedback from Professors especially from Prof. Chatterjee and also interacting with our batch mates. This course gave me the confidence to lead a successful career in healthcare industry.
Project, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai in collaboration with Tata Consultancy Services(Batch 02)
This course helped me to understand the dynamics of healthcare industry. The blend of academic learning along with guest lectures and industry immersion programme widened the exposure and gave practicality of ground realities. It also gave me an opportunity to enhance my qualities and abilities.
Dr. Purnima Arora
Assistant Manager, Manipal Health Entp.(Batch 02)
This course is one of its kinds, which provides full time residential program in healthcare management. It gives you a chance to have sessions from country’s best teachers along with an advantage of staying in beautiful campus called Joka. Professors make you think beyond classroom context and unearth leadership qualities in you. It was one of the brightest periods of my academic life. This program not only equipped me with knowledge and skills required to excel but also broadened my horizons, for prospects of employment in healthcare industry. Holistic development I have seen in myself in a year is invaluable. Combination of easily approachable academicians and interaction with participants from diverse backgrounds in campus results in rich business management education along with developing a network for life.
Dr. Hardi Manek
Senior Business Analyst At Malaysia, SD Global Technology Company(Batch 02)
It has been a truly invaluable learning experience for me. I have learned so much from Indian Institute of Management Calcutta’s constructive input and guidance throughout each lesson of the programe. This learning experience has surely made my CV shine and has opened doors to new opportunities. The program offers a perfect balance of theoretical and practical knowledge of healthcare industry and industry experience. The program helps healthcare professionals to get in-depth understanding of the healthcare industry.
Cluster Manager and Business Head- Annual Dental Plans, Axiss Dental Pvt. Ltd (Batch 01)
Here’s an academic program where you can get to interact with and learn from the World famous Faculty members, who are the Thought Leaders in their own arena, at the Institute, which constantly ranks high in the Global B-School rankings. The academic module taught by the Supply Chain Management Faculty proved very handy in meeting the demands of the Inventory Management Role, towards which I had contributed in my last job profile. The program is suited in the best way to immensely polish your managerial and leadership skills.
Assistant Medical Superintendent, Calcutta Medical Research Institute , KolkataAssistant Medical Superintendent,Calcutta Medical Research Institute , Kolkata (Batch 01)
The HEMP program, which is now called PGCHM, has helped me transition from core clinical field to Medical administration successfully. It trained me to think and act like an administrator while designing and executing projects. This program is the first step towards achieving goals in the diverse field of healthcare.
- Medical practitioners and administrators with MBBS/BDS/BAMS degree or equivalent recognized by UGC/AICTE/MCI or equivalent. Students with biotechnology and biomedical background are also eligible to apply. Students from other disciplines with experience in healthcare sector shall also be eligible. Applicants need to have minimum 50% marks [aggregate – considering results of all years] in graduation / post-graduation.
- Work Experience: Minimum Two years of experience in Healthcare as on April 2019.
- The duration of the programme is one year spread across different terms. This is a full time, residential programme.
- 360 hours
|Application Closure Date||Monday, 12th Nov 2018|
|Interview Date||Sunday, 18th Nov 2018|
|Result of selected candidates||Saturday, 24th Nov 2018|
|First installment of fees (Last date)||Wednesday, 5th Dec 2018|
|Orientation and Programme Start Date||Monday, 18th March, 2019|
Course Fee Installment Schedule
|Amount||5th Dec, 2018
|15th May 2019
|15th July 2019
|15th Sept 2019
|15th Nov 2019
|*GST will be charged extra on these components|
Rs. 2500/- + applicable taxes
Rs.11,00,000/- + applicable taxes