Many institutional investors, fund managers, and financial advisors have been raising their targets for real estate allocations in recent years. Some classes of real estate investments can yield solid returns and provide good diversification. Others are higher risk, but potentially higher return, options compared to conventional assets of blue-chip stocks and bonds.
Assessing Commercial Real Estate Investments and Markets provides institutional investors and financial advisors with a complete picture of the pros and cons of the various ways to invest in commercial real estate. Participants will become a more discerning evaluator of offers and opportunities in the U.S. and globally. Beyond just improving your awareness of common investing pitfalls, you will also discover how to make real estate a more valuable slice of your client’s or institution’s diversified investment portfolio.
The Wharton faculty, who are the leading minds in real estate today, will explore the fundamental concepts around different commercial real estate asset classes such as hotels, apartment buildings, shopping centers, and office buildings, and the varied economic forces that drive their returns. The effect of location — including cities, countries, coasts, and neighborhoods — and their distinct risk and return characteristics will also be covered. You will investigate many real estate investment strategies: direct investment, investing in public equity, lending to real estate, investing in real estate debt, or investing in a company or private equity firm that is itself investing in real estate. The advantages and drawbacks of each will be thoroughly discussed, as well as the unique risks that accompany each approach. You will also hone your skills around global real estate investment, including diversifying your investments across countries, finding local partners, and assessing and hedging currency risks.
Participants will discover how best to incorporate commercial real estate into their overall investment strategy. The current state of the U.S. and global real estate market will be discussed, and you will grasp the nuances of managing risk during boom and bust periods. Interactive exercises, case studies, and small-group breakouts make for engaging and thought-provoking sessions
As a result of attending this program, you will gain a deeper understanding of the concepts, terminology, strategies, and opportunities that will enable you to confidently add both domestic and global real estate to your investment portfolio.
- Growth, Booms, and Risk
- Commercial Real Estate Risk and Returns
- Differences Across Property Sectors
- Portfolio Allocation to Real Estate
- Public Investment and Private Equity Investment
- Real Estate Debt Investments
- Global Real Estate
Participants will learn how to:
- Learn about various sectors of commercial real estate and the different options for investing in them
- Discover how to balance risk and return in real estate investments
- Gain clarity and confidence around evaluating potential real estate investment partners and opportunities
- Understand the drivers of real estate markets and the effect of changes in the economy and tax code
- Determine how best to fit real estate into an overall investment strategy
- Find out how to locate overseas opportunities and manage the risk of investing globally
Course Start Date: